Top tips to get you cycling
This year, why not dust off your bike, get back on the saddle and fall in love with cycling all over again!
Here are our top tips for getting back into cycling:
- Get your bike checked over – there are a number of great bike shops in York who'll be more than happy to get your bike in tip-top working order ready for hitting the road again. You can also see our handy bike maintenance tips.
- Need a new bike? Your local bike shop will be happy to advise on the right bike and accessories for you, or pick up a bargain reconditioned bike.
- Haven't cycled for a while? Take a leisure ride and explore York – we've several easy to ride, scenic leisure route maps to get you riding again – with café stops to top up energy levels and toilet facilities all marked en route!
- Feeling a bit rusty on two wheels? Build your confidence on the road and brush up on your cycle skills with our superb one-to-one, personalised urban cycle skills training sessions. We come to you at a time to suit.
- Fancy a cycle ride but like some company? Why not join one of our guided group cycle rides in York or join Sky Ride's new Breeze network designed especially for women. You could also join a local cycle club.
Plan your route at glance – York has an extensive cycle network with a choice of off-road cycle paths and dedicated on-road cycle lanes to get you from A to B in no time at all.
- Park your bike safely - York has more than 1,000 city centre cycle parking spaces! Secure cycle parking is now available at York Station, thanks to Cycle Heaven.
- Keep your bike safe and secure – read our bike security tips and take advantage of Safer York Partnership's FREE bike security marking service. Always lock your bike wherever you leave it - even at home - and use a good quality lock, preferably two, to secure it to cycle parking facilities or to a solid fixed object.