Find out how to encourage active travel (e.g. walking, cycling) and other ways to do the school run. You might want to help improve the environment, congestion and child health. Or perhaps there are issues to address, such as unsafe parking outside the school gates.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other useful links:
How we can help
The iTravel Team (City of York Council) help people across York to change how they travel. This includes children, parents and school staff making the school run. Here are some of the ways we’ve been able to help schools in the past.
- Help the school think through its travel issues and opportunities and what actions could make a difference. Some schools write School Travel Plans.
- Help set up initiatives like park and stride sites, walking buses or car sharing.
- Putting on fun events (see below) for children to take part in.
- Engaging with children about their travel choices, e.g. at assemblies.
- Help the school gain Modeshift STARS Accreditation
- Linking with other Council teams to think about solutions (e.g. to parking problems) outside the school gates.
- You might have an Active Travel Champion in your school who we could support with the above.
Events that schools in York can take part in include:
Early Spring - Big Pedal
This national schools competition from Sustrans sees schools having the opportunity to win a number of exciting prizes. This event will be renamed Sustrans Big Walk and Wheel in 2022.
May - Walk to School Week
Schools encouraged to walk, cycle and scoot more, but with no competition.
June - Clean Air Day
classroom activities could think through air quality issues.
October - Walk to School Week
The school that has the most children walking, cycling and scooting to school (and leaving the car at home) during that week will win the coveted Jack Archer Award trophy.
Walk to School Week 2022 will be taking place from 10 October to 14 October. We’ll be contacting schools in mid-September to see which schools are interested. We’ll let you know how to take part and how to access Walk to School Week resources, which will be made available to download.
Feel free to contact us at email@example.com to find out more. But usually we tell schools a month before about how to take part.