Coronavirus travel information
Further reductions to bus and rail services will take place from Mon 30th March.
From Monday 23rd March, every person in the UK is required to stay at home except for the following reasons:
- Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
- One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
- Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.
As a result, demand for public transport has fallen steeply. Bus and rail services are expected to be further reduced- this page will continue to be updated with changes as they happen.
If you do have an essential need to travel, please see the summary and links to bus and rail operator information below.
Summary of bus service changes
- Service 42 will not operate parish-funded evening and Sunday journeys. Other journeys will run every 3 hours.
- Service 415 will run every hour.
- See www.arrivabus.co.uk/coronavirus for latest information.
Coastliner and Cityzap
- Cityzap and Coastliner will run a combined hourly service.
- See www.transdevbus.co.uk/coastliner for latest information.
- Service 13 will run to an hourly timetable with a later start than normal.
- Service 16 will run to a Saturday timetable at peak times, with limited service during the middle of the day.
- Service 412 will run one return journey per day. The return journey operated by North Yorkshire County Council will also continue to run.
- See www.connexionsbuses.com for latest information
- Service 18 will run to a Saturday timetable, except for Friday/Saturday evening journeys (after 18:00) which will not operate.
- Services 45 and 46 will not operate.
- Services X46 and X47 will run a combined hourly service.
- Service 747 will run to a Saturday timetable.
- See www.eastyorkshirebuses.co.uk/coronavirus for latest information
- Services 1, 4, 5, 5A, 6, and 66 will run every 30 minutes during the day and every hour in the evening.
- Services 10, 11 and 12 will run approximately every hour.
- Service 66A will not operate.
- Service 200 will run 3 early morning journeys.
- The Hospital Bus (HSB) will run as normal.
- See www.firstgroup.com/york for the latest information.
Park & Ride
- Services 2, 7 and 9 (Rawcliffe Bar, Designer Outlet and Monks Cross P&R) will run every half hour during the day and every hour during the evening.
- Services 3, 8 and 59 (Askham Bar, Grimston Bar and Poppleton Bar P&R) will no longer operate from Sunday 29th March until further notice.
- See Park & Ride for latest information.
- Service 19 will run an hourly service on Mondays-Fridays.
- Services 30 and 40 will run a Sunday timetable on Mondays-Saturdays, with no service on Sundays.
- Services 29 and 31X will not operate.
- See reliancebuses.co.uk/latest-news for latest information.
- Services 14, 19 (Saturday) and 23 will not operate.
- Services 20, 24, 25 and 26 will operate every 2 hours. The late evening service 26 journey will not operate.
- Service 22 and Castleline will operate a minimal service.
- See above for Coastliner and Cityzap service levels.
- CitySightseeing tour buses will no longer operate.
- See www.transdevbus.co.uk/york for latest information.
- Services 21 and 36 will run approximately every 3 hours.
- Service X36 will not operate.
- Services 37 and 196 will run as normal.
- See www.yorkpullmanbus.co.uk for latest information.
Paying for your ticket
To help prevent unneccessary contact, please use cashless payment methods, such as contactless debit cards, smartcards or M-ticket apps if you need to travel on public transport.
Enhanced concessionary travel arrangements
Concessionary travel passes will be accepted on all bus services before 09:00. Please follow government guidance and only travel if you have an essential need.
Getting live bus information
We regret that timetables on journey planning websites, apps and real-time information screens are unlikely to provide accurate information at present. Please bookmark this page and visit bus operator websites for the latest timetable information.
Summary of rail service changes
All rail services are now operating reduced timetables to cater for key workers. Please use contactless card payments wherever possible and note that many station waiting rooms are now closed.
See www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/coronavirus for the latest updates.
See www.grandcentralrail.com/coronavirus-travel-information for details.
See www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/coronavirus-travel-information for details.
See media.northernrailway.co.uk/news/coronavirus-travel-information for details.
See www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/corona-virus-travel-info for details.