UPDATE: 13:30 on 19/02/2020
Flood levels peaked on Monday at 4.4m, and are slowly falling, although water levels are expected to stay high for a number of days. The current level is approx. 3.7m (see below for live update).
- Skeldergate has now reopened.
- Tower Street is open..
- A19 at Germany Beck - a pump is still in place to deal with any surface water. We expect that the road will continue to stay open.
- Fordlands Road is open.
- B1222 Naburn Lane is closed.
- Main Street, Nether Poppleton has now reopened.
- Acaster Lane is closed.
- Millennium Bridge has now reopened.
York's location, on low ground at the junction of the rivers Ouse and Foss, means that certain parts of the city and surroundings can be prone to flooding.
If you're planning a visit to York, don't be put off. All but the most severe flood events have a minimal impact on daily life and business in York.
Flood warning status
Current river level
Data visualisation from riverlevels.uk
The table below shows which roads and bus routes are likely to be affected when the River Ouse in York reaches certain key levels. Please note that the table is advisory and does not necessarily reflect actual road closures during a particular flood event. For up-to-the minute information during flood emergencies, please see Flood advice and information on the City of York Council website.
|River level*||Roads closed||Bus routes affected||Diversion|
|3.55m||Main St. (Nether Poppleton)||10||Dikelands Lane, Ebor Way|
|3.90m||Acaster Lane||21||Appleton Road|
|B1222 Naburn Lane||42||A19|
|4.00m||Skeldergate||3, 3A, 4, 59, ZAP||Nunnery Lane, Bishopgate St.|
|45, 46, X46||Rougier St, Station Rd, Nunnery Lane|
|4.50m||A19 Selby Rd||7, 18, 36, 42, 415||A64, Hull Road|
|Tower St.||3, 3A, 4, 59, ZAP||Terminate at Rail Station|
|7, 42, 66, 415||Piccadilly, Merchantgate|
|4.60m||Fordlands Road||25, 26||Terminate services on Fulford Main St.|
|5.45m||Clifton Green||2, 2A, 19, 29, 30, 31X||A1237, Boroughbridge Rd.|
|A19 Shipton Rd||2, 2A, 29, 30, 31X||A1237, Boroughbridge Rd.|
|Salisbury Road||2, 2A, 10, 19, 29, 30, 31X||Poppleton Rd.|
|Hamilton Drive||16||York Rd.|
* Height of River Ouse above normal summer levels, measured at the Viking Recorder (near Lendal Bridge in York city centre).
Locations are shown on the map below:
- Always obey road closures and diversion signs.
- Never attempt to drive, cycle or walk through flood water, even if it appears to be shallow.
- Monitor flood levels using the Environment Agency's Flood Information service.