Sustrans is the charity making it easier for people to walk and cycle. We connect people and places, create liveable neighbourhoods, transform the school run and deliver a happier, healthier commute. Join us on our journey.
- Green Explorer
Get your kids involved in being a Green Explorer this summer for the chance to win a bike!
York kids encouraged to become ‘Green Explorers’ this summer
York families have the chance to discover 16 unique visitor attractions this summer as part of a new initiative run by cycling charity Sustrans.
The Green Explorer initiative, which is funded by City of York Council’s i-Travel York project and supported by Visit York, aims to keep kids moving during the school holidays and to encourage healthy, active lifestyles.
Children can become a Green Explorer by visiting one of the 16 participating venues by bike, scooter, on foot or public transport and collecting a stamp. Once four stamps have been collected children will be awarded a special enamel pin badge and can enter the prize draw to win a new bike.
Sustrans’ Yorkshire Regional Director David Hall said, “Walking and cycling for everyday journeys is great for our health, the environment and it’s fun too.”
“Joining Sustrans Green Explorers is a great way to spend time with family in the school holidays while keeping fit and healthy.”
Cllr Janet Looker, Cabinet Member for Education, Children and Young People, said: “City of York Council is delighted to fund and support this great campaign through our i-Travel initiative. Through the new campaign we hope to encourage even more children to explore new ways of travelling to their favourite places during the summer holidays.”
- For more information about Green Explorers in York please visit www.visityork.org/greenexplorer or follow on Twitter #greenexplorer
- See our cycle route map, walking route planner and bus route map to help you get around York this summer.
- For more information on the work and campaigns of Sustrans please visit www.sustrans.org.uk
Participating venues are:
- Beningbrough Hall
- Brunswick Organic Nursery
- Castle Museum; and
- The Designer Outlet
- Jorvik Viking Centre
- The Minster
- Naburn Station Tea Garden
- National Railway Museum
- Rowntree Park Reading Cafe
- St Nicks Fields
- Stillingfleet Lodge
- Visit York Information Centre
- Yorkshire Museum
- Yorkshire Museum of Farming