Summary of bus service changes
Coronavirus travel information
Following the Government’s announcement that schools and shops will begin a phased reopening during June, local bus operators, rail operators and City of York Council are making changes to ensure that safe travel options are available for residents.
More buses and trains will be operating and appropriate health and safety measures will be put in place to ensure that social distancing guidelines can be adhered to, which may mean reduced capacity on board.
Please note that from Monday 15th June, the Government requires everyone using public transport to wear a face covering, unless you are exempted for medical reasons. Further information can be found on the gov.uk website.
Summary of bus service changes
From 28th June:
- Service 42 will run about every 90 minutes during the daytime on Mondays-Saturdays. There will be no evening or Sunday service.
- Service 415 will increase to every 15 minutes on Mondays-Saturdays, and every 30 minutes on Sundays.
- See www.arrivabus.co.uk/coronavirus for latest information.
Coastliner and Cityzap
- Cityzap will begin running an hourly weekday service from 1st June.
- Coastliner will run an hourly Mon-Sat Leeds-Scarborough service from 1st June with connections at Malton for Pickering and Whitby. A 2 hourly Sunday service will start from 31st May.
- See www.transdevbus.co.uk/coastliner for latest information.
From 15th June:
- Service 13 will resume a half-hourly service.
- Service 16 will run a full Saturday timetable on Mondays-Saturdays.
- Service 412 will run five return journeys per day between York and Wetherby. The additional return journey operated by North Yorkshire County Council will also continue.
- See www.connexionsbuses.com for latest information
From 1st June:
- Service 18 will run a normal timetable, except for Friday/Saturday evening journeys (after 18:00) which will not operate.
- Services 45, 46 will run a normal weekday timetable on Mondays-Fridays only.
- The X46/X47 will run a normal weekday service but with a reduced evening service. A special Saturday timetable will operate, and a normal Sunday timetable will run.
- Service 747 will run to a normal timetable.
- See www.eastyorkshirebuses.co.uk/coronavirus for latest information
From 28th June:
- Service 1 will operate up to every 10 minutes on weekdays, 12 minutes on Saturdays and 30 minutes on Sundays.
- Service 4 will operate up to every 8-9 minutes on weekdays, 12 minutes on Saturdays and 30 minutes on Sundays. Due to vehicle availability, articulated (bendy) buses will be used on service 4. The route in Acomb will change, with buses running via Cornlands Rd, Tudor Rd, Green Lane, Front St, Acomb Green, Ridgeway, Askham Lane then resuming normal route.
- Service 5/5A will run up to every 15 minutes on weekdays, every 15 minutes on Saturdays and every 30 minutes on Sundays.
- Service 6 will run up to every 15 minutes on weekdays, every 20 minutes on Saturdays and every 30 minutes on Sundays.
- Service 10 will continue to run up to every 30 mins on Mondays-Saturdays and hourly on Sundays. Additional buses between Dunnington and York City Centre will continue to run on weekdays, providing an overall 15-minute frequency on this section.
- Services 11 and 12 will run every 30 minutes on weekdays and every 30 minutes on Saturdays between 09:00 and 17:00.
- Service 66 will continue to run every 15 minutes on weekdays, every 20 minutes on Saturdays and every hour on Sundays.
- Service 66A will not operate.
- Service 200 will continue to run 3 early morning journeys.
- The Hospital Bus (HSB) will run as normal.
See www.firstgroup.com/help-and-support/coronavirus-information for advice on safe travel
Park & Ride
From 31st May:
- Services 2A, 7 and 9 (Rawcliffe Bar, Designer Outlet and Monks Cross) will run every 10 minutes at peak times, 15 minutes during the day and every hour during the evening. A half hourly service will be provided on Sundays.
- Last Park & Ride buses from the city centre will depart at 22:15 (service 2A), 22:45 (service 7), 20:05 (service 9, Mon-Sat) or 19:00 (service 9, Sundays)
- Services 3, 8 and 59 (Askham Bar, Grimston Bar and Poppleton Bar P&R) will remain suspended until further notice
The Designer Outlet car park is due to reopen from Monday 15th June.
See Park & Ride for latest information.
From 15th June:
- Service 19 will run an hourly service on weekdays.
- Service 29 will resume a weekday service with three journeys per day in each direction.
- Service 30/30X will run every hour on Mondays-Saturdays, with no service on Sundays.
- Service 31X will resume a limited weekday service with two journeys per day in each direction.
- Service 40 will run every hour on Mondays-Saturdays, with no service on Sundays.
- See reliancebuses.co.uk/latest-news for latest information.
York & Country
- Services 14, 19 (Saturday) and 23 will remain suspended until further notice.
- Services 20, 24, 25 and 26 will continue to operate every 2 hours. The late evening service 26 journey will not operate.
- Service 22 and Castleline will continue to operate a minimal service.
- See above for Coastliner and Cityzap service levels.
- CitySightseeing tour buses will remain suspended until further notice.
- See www.transdevbus.co.uk/york for latest information.
- Services 21 and 36 will continue to run approximately every 3 hours.
- Service X36 will not operate.
- Services 37 and 196 will continue to run as normal.
- See www.yorkpullmanbus.co.uk for latest information.
Changes on board
Bus operators are putting in place new safety measures to protect staff and customers. These include reducing the number of available seats on board each bus, encouraging the wearing of face coverings, ensuring alighting passengers are clear of the bus before anyone else boards and keeping a safe distance when boarding.
Please be patient and observe all the safety measures when travelling. You should not leave your house if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, including a high temperature, a new, continuous cough and loss or change to your sense of smell or taste.
Changes at bus stops
Customer safety information will be displayed at bus stops. When queueing please maintain a 2 metre distance between yourself and other passengers. Additional measures may be put in place at stops to manage social distancing. First have produced the following video to explain the new arrangements at stops and on board.
Paying for your ticket
To help prevent unnecessary contact, please use cashless payment methods, such as contactless debit cards, smartcards or M-ticket apps wherever possible.
Return to normal concessionary travel arrangements
To help support essential journeys on peak time buses, normal concessionary travel rules will apply from Monday 1st June. Bus passes will be accepted for concessionary travel only after 09:00 on weekdays and at any time on weekends, with the exception of blind persons who are permitted to travel at any time of day in York.
Getting live bus information
Bus operators and the council are working to update timetables as quickly as possible. Please note that due to the short notice nature of these service changes, some timetables on journey planning websites, apps and real-time information screens may not be updated immediately. Please bookmark this page and visit bus operator websites for the latest timetable information.
Summary of rail service changes
Rail service levels are also gradually being increased. Please use contactless card payments wherever possible and note that most rail services now require seat reservations before travelling.
See www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/coronavirus for the latest updates.
See www.grandcentralrail.com/coronavirus-travel-information for details.
See www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/coronavirus-travel-information for details.
See media.northernrailway.co.uk/news/coronavirus-travel-information for details.
See www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/corona-virus-travel-info for details.