Travel2Campus is a partnership between i-Travel York, Askham Bryan College, York College, York St John University and the University of York. The aim is to support students and staff in making healthier, cheaper and more enjoyable travel choices… to campus and beyond!
Travel2Campus 2018 roadshow!....We did it!
In February and March Travel2Campus offered a series of free sustainable travel activities across all four major FE/HE campuses in York. The activities included bike maintenance tutorials, guided rides and training opportunities. There was even a bicycle-powered smoothie maker and a velodrome simulator so students and staff could compete against each other for the best times!
An ‘info zone’ was set up on each site offering travel advice, freebies and a chance to talk with qualified cycle instructors and technicians. A bespoke guide was also distributed highlighting safe cycle routes, safety tips and basic cycle maintenance advice.
Over the four weeks we engaged with thousands of students and staff and were made very welcome on all the campuses. The information we gathered will be factored into our next series of activities later in 2018....watch this space!
Askham Bryan College - Thanks to everyone who engaged with us from Tuesday 20.2.18 - Thursday 22.2.18!
University of York - Thanks to everyone who engaged with us (and braved the snow!) from Tuesday 27.2.18 - Thursday 1.3.18!
York St John University - Thanks to everyone who engaged with us from Tuesday 6.3.18 - Thursday 8.3.18!
York College - Thanks to everyone who engaged with us from Tuesday 13.3.18 - Thursday 15.3.18!
Bike Lock sale: Good quality bike locks are on sale at Askham Bryan and York St John. A bargain at £5 each! Please ask at the students’ union for more details.
Past activities include:
- Freshers events at all campuses, offering travel advice, maps, journey planning - and freebies!
- Fun social events, including free guided bike rides and walks
- Free bike loans and bike try- outs
- Free bike maintenance workshops and cycle training
- Guidance on safe travel
- Volunteering and training opportunities
- Light up be Seen: Travel2Campus helps York students be visible and safe! In October 2017, we distributed FREE kit to cyclists on all four campuses - high-vis slapwraps, vests and lights - as part of the 'Light up be Seen' campaign. The Police were also in attendance to distribute kit and advise on the importance of being lit up and visible in darker conditions! The message was to emphasise how important it is for cyclists to be visible in darker riding conditions, not just for their own wellbeing, but for car drivers / pedestrians as well. Both students and staff gratefully accepted the free kit as well as a 'cycle rules card' (see link on the right of this page) that outlines the legal implications of dangerous cycling. Altogether we gave away over 1000 sets of lights, 1000 slapwraps and 870 vests. Thank you to all those we engaged with!
If you are a FE or HE student in York and have any queries relating to travel or transport in York you can:
- Check out the menu above on the i-Travel York website for all the info you need on cycling, walking or using public transport in York.
- Check out our journey planning page for directions via bus, in the car, on foot or by bike.
If you are interested in getting involved with the Travel2Campus project, have any queries or have some ideas for future activities at your university / college, please do contact us.
For specific travel and transport details about one of the universities and colleges in York, please use the links at the bottom right of this page.
See YOzone for details on how to apply for a YOzone card offering discounted bus travel for 11-18 year olds.