Derwenthorpe Greener Transport Week
Derwenthorpe Greener Transport Week is a series of free events between 21st and 30th June organised by Derwenthorpe Action on Climate Change. The week includes:
Midsummer Eve Walk
Friday 21st June: 7:30pm - 9:30pm. Meet at the Derwenthorpe Energy Centre, finish at Derwent Arms.
Greener Transport Fun and Information Fair
Saturday 22nd June: 2:00pm - 5:00pm at the Derwenthorpe Energy Centre. Includes:
- Bike Training Programme for Children: In the children's playground. Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust launches a 10 week bike training programme for children with bike games and more from GoGet Riding.
- iTravel: York Council staff will be on hand with up-to-date information about cycle and bus routes together with available initiatives such as TryBike (free training, free use of a bike for 3 weeks and 30% discount on bike purchase). Come visit us to find out more!
- York Bus Forum: The independent voice for bus users and potential bus users in and around York, helping to improve and expand York's bus network!
- Greener Transport Pledge: Will you take the pledge? How long could you go without a car? Take up the challenge, blog your story of how it all went and win a prize!
- Derwenthorpe Exchange Stall: An opportunity to exchange skills, opportunities, information e.g. - Car shares and Carbon Offset.
- Get Cycling Information Stall: Get Cycling share their extensive knowledge of bikes for all purposes and have an amazing collection of bikes on show. Get Cycling operates iTravel's TryBike scheme and you can sign up for the scheme here.
- Get Cycling's Bike Doctor: will safety-check your bike and make any necessary minor repairs.
- Pedal-Powered Smoothie-Maker: See how your pedal power creates a delicious, healthy smoothie... which you get to drink!
- Velodrome: Race your friends around the interactive velodrome track in this pedal race challenge. LED lights, sound effects and voiceover commentry follow the progress of each cyclist and the first one over the line is the winner!
- Mega Bikes: Cycling with others takes on a whole new dimension with this bike for seven people!
- Electric Car Demonstration and Information: Vangarde Toyota York will have a hybrid car on display and a Derwenthorpe resident will share their experience of using e-cars.
The Derwenthorper's Big Bike Picnic
Sunday 30th June: 11:30am - 4:00pm. A family friendly guided bike ride. Easy route to Rowntree Park for a picnic (bring your own). Depart from the Derwenthorpe Energy Centre.
Pop-up events will also appear throughout the week - visit Derwenthorpe's Facebook page to find out more.