If you’ve ever wanted to try an e-cycle, whether it’s for leisure, fitness or for a cheaper and more convenient way to get around, our e-cycle scheme can help you make the switch.
We’re working with York’s bike shops to enable you to experience life with an e-cycle for one week, for FREE. If you decide it’s right for you, we’re offering a discount of £300* to buy your own e-cycle. This discount can be redeemed on a range of e-cycles at participating bike shops.
How does it work?
Sign up for your free e-cycle trial via the link below. Your chosen bike shop will then be in touch to make sure the e-cycle is just right for you and arrange your collection date.
Collect the e-cycle from your chosen bike shop and try it out for free for one week (or up to 28 days if you’re a job seeker - subject to availability).
There is no obligation to buy an e-cycle, however, after your trial is complete you’ll be entitled to a £300* discount on a new e-cycle from our participating retailers.
*Some residents may be eligible for a larger discount. See terms and conditions below for more information.
Please note: Due to high levels of demand, we are no longer processing applications for e-cycle trials. This does not include trials using inclusive/adapted e-cycles offered by Get Cycling – these applications will still be processed.
You can still complete an application and you will be added to a queue in the event that trial spaces become available. Thank you for your interest in the scheme.
Free Urban Cycle Skills training is also available to help you make the most of your trial. Find out more about the training here.
Which bike shops are providing trials and what e-cycles are available?
A bit of info to help you choose the bike shop you’d like to visit, and your preferred e-cycle model to use on your trial. Click on the photos to find out more about each model.
You’ll be asked for your preferred bike shop and e-cycle model in the application form. If you’re not sure what e-cycle model or size you need, the bike shop will be able to help you after you’ve submitted your application. Please note: the images below are for illustrative purposes and trial e-cycle colours may differ from the images below.
You’re not limited to buying an e-cycle from only the bike shop that provided your free trial. See the Where can I claim my discount section below
Please visit the FAQs if you have more questions
Get Cycling CIC is an inclusive cycle retailer specialising in inclusive and adapted cycles for customers who’s needs are not been meet by a traditional cycle. They provide impartial advice and their aim is to get everyone riding irrespective of ability or requirements.
- 22 Hospital Fields Road, York, YO10 4DZ
- 01904 636 812
Get Cycling will be offering their full range of inclusive e-cycles for 1-day trials (unless otherwise stated below). This will help include the largest range of disabilities. Some examples of the e-cycle models available for trials at this shop include:
Sociable Tandems – Great for riders who can contribute to pedalling but don’t have the motor skills to be able to safely ride on their own. Can be specified with either hand cycle attachments or pedal attachments to give options for all riders.
Where can I claim the discount?
You’re not limited to buying an e-cycle from only the bike shop that provided your free trial. The discount can be used at the following bike shops.
Terms & conditions
- The scheme is available to people living, working or studying in the City of York Council local authority area only. Participants must be over the age of 18 and must not already own an e-cycle.
- Those currently unemployed and seeking a job, or starting a new job having been unemployed, will be eligible for a trial of up to 28 days (subject to availability) and a discount of £600.
- Those trialling and purchasing an inclusive e-cycle will be eligible for a discount of £800.
- Participants must complete a free trial to be entitled to the discount. The discount cannot be used in addition to any ‘cycle to work scheme’.
- Due to demand, an e-cycle, or one of the correct size, may not always be available at the time you want it. Bike shops will do their best to accommodate your needs in this regard.
- More info on the terms and conditions of participation will be provided when you collect the e-cycle for your free trial
For information about the shared e-scooters and e-cycles found around York, please visit the TIER website.