Urban Cycle Skills Privacy Notice
We keep this Privacy Notice under review. It was last updated in May 2019.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, email email@example.com
We (City of York Council) run the Urban Cycle Skills scheme for adults and families. We will collect personal data about you during the application process and through a follow up questionnaire. This privacy notice explains how we will use your personal data.
Collecting personal data
The data we collect about you is as follows.
- Name, gender and age
- Contact details
- Your journey route that you would like help with
- Any details that you think could help us tailor a session, e.g. medical needs
Follow up questionnaire (all questions are optional):
- Name, home postcode, contact details
- Your cycling confidence levels before and after the session
- What advice you found useful and what you did/didn’t learn
- Questions about how you travelled before and after the session
- Age, gender, disability and ethnicity.
Using personal data – application form
The personal data you give us will be used by City of York Council to:
- Contact you to arrange the session and later on to ask you to complete the follow up questionnaire.
- To understand what needs you might have for the session.You may also not qualify for a session, e.g. if you are not old enough or do not have a York connection.
Using personal data – follow up questionnaire
- Your name can be helpful in looking back at details of the session to understand better the specific feedback given.
- We ask if you want to stay in touch about your feedback and other cycling/travel initiatives
- Postcodes tell us where participants are based to see how well we cover the whole city and also give us an idea about the journey routes.
- Age, gender, disability and ethnicity will help us to find out if some groups are underrepresented and whether we need to adapt the sessions and/or information/advertising.
- We want to know how helpful sessions have been and whether participants have gone on to cycle more as a result.
Sharing personal data
The personal data will only be used by City of York Council’s Sustainable Transport Team. Other teams and organisations will not receive your data.
Sharing data under Data Protection legislation
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent, for example if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as for:
- law enforcement
- fraud investigations
- regulation and licensing
- criminal prosecutions
- court proceedings
Our legal basis for collecting and sharing personal data
City of York Council use your personal data because as an applicant/participant you're asking us to do something on your behalf.
We may not be able to do what you've asked us to do if you don't provide us with your personal data and use it as described in this Privacy Notice.
Retaining personal data
City of York Council will keep your data for 3 years after your last contact with us, which could be for any of the above listed services and reasons.
This means if we don’t hear from you in that time period, we'll delete your personal data from our database.
Further processing of personal data
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice or by another Service Privacy Notice, then we'll provide you with a new notice.
The new notice will:
explain this new use before we start the processing
set out the relevant purposes and processing conditions
- Where and whenever necessary, we'll seek your consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
Your rights relating to personal data
When we collect your personal data we'll tell you how we are going to use it. Where we process your personal data, you have a number of rights under data protection law.