To keep your bike in tip-top condition, before every trip, you should -
- Check that your tyres are pumped up
- Check that your brakes, lights, handlebars and seat are in good order and tightly secured.
On a monthly basis, you should:
- Clean and lubricate your chain and check your gears are running smoothly;
- Wipe the dirt from your wheels and check the tread on your tyres.
- If possible, check your brake pads and your brake cables.
On an annual basis, you should:
- Give your bike a thorough service. Reputable cycle shops will have a mechanic who can do this for you.
More detailed bike maintenance information is included in Sustrans’ Get Cycling guide, which can be downloaded below.