Better Bus Area Fund
On 24th February 2012, City of York Council submitted a bid to the Department for Transport (DfT) for a contribution of £2.9 million from the Better Bus Area Fund.
Entitled 'Get on Board York', it proposed a wide range of measures to improve bus services in York. Including local contributions, the total expenditure was £5.7 million over two years.
The bid allowed for:
- a comprehensive marketing and promotion package for bus services;
- a range of smart ticketing products;
- travel behaviour change marketing at sites outside the city centre such as the University and retail/business parks;
- comprehensive on-street works and city centre enforcement measures to improve bus service reliability in York;
- five city centre bus interchanges; and
- improvements to other busy stops and shelters across the city.
It was announced on 23rd March 2012 that our bid had been successful.